1. To search the collection, start typing your search term into the search box in the top banner. A drop-down menu will offer you some options relating to your search. If you see the record you are looking for in the drop-down menu, simply click on the record to navigate to it. If you do not see what you are searching for, press enter and all of the search results will be displayed.
2. You can then filter your search results using the menus on the left hand side of the page. You can limit your search results to individual items, collections or series of records, or to the creator, people and organisations, or parts of Clifton Suspension Bridge (subjects).
3. You can use special characters (also known as wildcards) to make your search more specific. Some common searches are:
a) Use quotation marks ("") around your search term to search for the exact wording. E.g. "abutment" will find abutment but not abutments
b) Use asterisks (*) as multiple character wildcards. E.g. In order to search for anything related to tolling, toll equipment, toll houses, toll keepers etc. use *toll*
c) Use question marks (?) as single character wildcards. E.g. foot? will find footpath and footway
You can also make use of the advanced search option, which allows you to build complex queries to search in the system. A number of filters are available to narrow your search.
1. Click on the icon search box in the top banner. A drop-down menu will offer you the advanced search option - click on this. Enter a search term in the advanced search box. Use a single keyword or more advanced queries using the wildcards described above.
2. Select a specific field from the drop-down list to limit your search to that field.
3. Add new criteria as required.
4. Use the search filters on the left to narrow your search.
5. Click the "Search" button at the bottom of the screen to perform the search.
Another option is to browse archival descriptions by clicking the browse button to the left of the search bar.
1. Click on “Archival Descriptions”, “People, Companies and Organisations”, “Parts of Clifton Suspension Bridge”, “Places” or “Digital Objects” to browse lists. The category "Digital Objects" includes images and audio and visual files as well as pdf documents.
2. Click on “Most recent” to change the order of the list to show the most recent additions to the catalogue first.
3. The lists can be ordered alphabetically, by most recently added to the catalogue, or by identifier (reference number). Click on “Alphabetic” to revert to alphabetical order.
4. If you are browsing “People, Organisations and Companies” you have the further option to enter a query in the specific search box at the top of the page. This will confine your search.