Showing 205 results

Archival description
With digital objects Stereoscopic photographs
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Stereoview of Clifton Suspension Bridge from the Cumberland Basin

Card is printed as "From F.H. Parmelee, No.84 State Street, Crocker's Hotel Building, New London, Conn." It is (incorrectly) labelled "356. Clifton - Suspension Bridge - Devonshire." The image appears to be a copy of a stereocard from Francis Bedford's "Clifton Illustrated" series, no. 2407.

F.H. Parmelee, New London, Conn.

Stereoview of Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Down Hotel was also previously known as the Royal York and The Bath Hotel. On 21 June 1831, there was a foundation laying ceremony led by Lady Elton which was preceded by a breakfast held by the Bridge Committee at the hotel which was known as the Bath Hotel at the time. The laying of the Leigh Woods abutment foundation stone in 1836 also involved a dinner at the hotel which had ordered special commemorative china. The hotel was re-built from 1862 to 1864, opening as the Clifton Down Hotel in 1865 - five months after the completion of Clifton Suspension Bridge. The building was taken over by the Government in 1939 and in the twentieth century it was named as Bridge House.

Beattie, John (1820 - 1883)

Results 151 to 160 of 205