- GB 3493 126
- c 1756
88 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Chatlain & Vivares
The handbill describes Mr G. Courtney's second attempt of crossing the Avon Gorge at 6:30pm on Monday 5 June 1826. The first crossing took place on 22 May 1826 when Courtney 'flew' across the Avon Gorge horizontally from a rope suspended from a point above the Giant's Cave to a tree in Leigh Woods. As well as a poem, the item includes a woodcut illustration showing winged figure flying over the Avon Gorge.
Bonner, H, printer, 4 Unity Street, St. Philips
Rees, J, bookseller
Grangerised from an unknown publication. Illustration number 1297.
This is a piece of the second iron bar that was part of Brunel's suspended traveller, a basket car which hung from an iron bar 305 m (1,000 ft) long suspended across the gorge. It was erected in August 1836 to enable people and materials to cross the gorge during the initial construction of the bridge.
The first bar was dropped during its erection, causing it to kink. Following an incident on 27th August 1836, the bar was taken down and replaced. Brunel ordered a new, thicker bar 5 cm (2") in diameter to be made and within four weeks it had been installed on site. By 27th September 1836, Brunel made the first successful crossing accompanied by the son of Captain Christopher Claxton, Secretary of the Bridge Committee. While free for workmen to cross on business, the public were charged and it became a thrilling attraction as well as a source of income for the company. In 1853 - when the original ironwork of the bridge was sold off - the bar was taken down and parts of it were cut up and kept as souvenirs.
Contains also printed 'Prospectus of Suspension Bridge...20 April 1831'.