No. 1290. This view shows the locks to the Cumberland Basin. A swivel bridge, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, can be seen open by the South Entrance Lock (seen on the right in the photograph). The swivel bridge was in operation by 1849 and was turned by a hydraulic mechanism. On the North Entrance Lock (seen on the left of the photograph) is another swivel bridge designed by the dock’s engineer, Thomas Howard and based on Brunel’s design. This swivel bridge was operational by 1864, but was removed sometime between 1868 and 1870 when Howard’s new North Lock was being built. It was re-erected at Bathurst Basin. In 1872-1873 Brunel’s swivel bridge was shortened and moved to the North Entrance Lock.
The Hungerford Bridge was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and opened in 1845. When the bridge was demolished in 1860, its chains were reused to construct the Clifton Suspension Bridge. The photograph has the caption " 6875 -Perpective du Pont suspendu a Londres".