Print preview Close

Showing 205 results

Archival description
With digital objects Stereoscopic photographs
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Clifton Illustrated stereoview of the entrance to the Cumberland Basin taken from Rownham Hill

No. 1290.
This view shows the locks to the Cumberland Basin. A swivel bridge, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, can be seen open by the South Entrance Lock (seen on the right in the photograph). The swivel bridge was in operation by 1849 and was turned by a hydraulic mechanism.
On the North Entrance Lock (seen on the left of the photograph) is another swivel bridge designed by the dock’s engineer, Thomas Howard and based on Brunel’s design. This swivel bridge was operational by 1864, but was removed sometime between 1868 and 1870 when Howard’s new North Lock was being built It was re-erected at Bathurst Basin. In 1872-1873 Brunel’s swivel bridge was shortened and moved to the North Entrance Lock.

Bedford, Francis (1815 -1894), photographer

Stereoview of Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Down Hotel was also previously known as the Royal York and The Bath Hotel. On 21 June 1831, there was a foundation laying ceremony led by Lady Elton which was preceded by a breakfast held by the Bridge Committee at the hotel which was known as the Bath Hotel at the time. The laying of the Leigh Woods abutment foundation stone in 1836 also involved a dinner at the hotel which had ordered special commemorative china. The hotel was re-built from 1862 to 1864, opening as the Clifton Down Hotel in 1865 - five months after the completion of Clifton Suspension Bridge. The building was taken over by the Government in 1939 and in the twentieth century it was named as Bridge House.

Beattie, John (1820 - 1883)

Results 11 to 20 of 205