Print preview Close

Showing 209 results

Archival description
With digital objects Stereoscopic photographs
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Stereoview of Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Down Hotel was also previously known as the Royal York and The Bath Hotel. On 21 June 1831, there was a foundation laying ceremony led by Lady Elton which was preceded by a breakfast held by the Bridge Committee at the hotel which was known as the Bath Hotel at the time. The laying of the Leigh Woods abutment foundation stone in 1836 also involved a dinner at the hotel which had ordered special commemorative china. The hotel was re-built from 1862 to 1864, opening as the Clifton Down Hotel in 1865 - five months after the completion of Clifton Suspension Bridge. The building was taken over by the Government in 1939 and in the twentieth century it was named as Bridge House.

Beattie, John (1820 - 1883)

Stereoview of the Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash showing figures on the railway under the suspending tubes

No. 104. Reverse carries the stamp: "Stereoscopic Treasures / Published by W. Spreat 229 High Street Exeter."
In 1853 the chains intended to be used for the Clifton Suspension Bridge were sold and reused to form Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash. The bridge was opened by Prince Albert on 2 May 1859.

Spreat, W, publisher, 229 High Street, Exeter

Stereoview of the Royal Albert Bridge, Saltash

Reverse has label advertising Way & Sons' Stereoscopic Views of Devonshire Scenery, 13 Victoria Parade, Torquay.
In 1853 the chains intended to be used for the Clifton Suspension Bridge were sold and reused to form Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash. The bridge was opened by Prince Albert on 2 May 1859.

Way & Sons

Stereoview of the Menheniot Viaduct, Cornwall

Reverse has text: "152. Menheniot Viaduct, Cornwall. / The height of this Viaduct, the most ornamental on the Cornwall Railway, is best seen and appreciated from the valley below. Its appearance is truly grand, stepping with gigantic strides from hill to hill, and dwarfing the tallest trees."
In 1845 the Cornwall Railway surveyed a line to link Plymouth with Truro and Falmouth, together with several branches. I K Brunel was the engineer. The viaduct at Menheniot was one of 34 timber fan viaducts built to Brunel's standard design.

Spreat, W, publisher, 229 High Street, Exeter

Results 21 to 30 of 209