Showing 22 results

Archival description
Bedford, Francis (1815 -1894), photographer With digital objects Stereoscopic photographs
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Clifton Illustrated stereoview of the entrance to the Cumberland Basin taken from Rownham Hill

No. 1290.
This view shows the locks to the Cumberland Basin. A swivel bridge, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, can be seen open by the South Entrance Lock (seen on the right in the photograph). The swivel bridge was in operation by 1849 and was turned by a hydraulic mechanism.
On the North Entrance Lock (seen on the left of the photograph) is another swivel bridge designed by the dock’s engineer, Thomas Howard and based on Brunel’s design. This swivel bridge was operational by 1864, but was removed sometime between 1868 and 1870 when Howard’s new North Lock was being built It was re-erected at Bathurst Basin. In 1872-1873 Brunel’s swivel bridge was shortened and moved to the North Entrance Lock.

Bedford, Francis (1815 -1894), photographer

Results 1 to 10 of 22