Item 146 - Postcard of Clifton Suspension Bridge from the Clifton side

Identity area

Reference code

GB 3493 PC/146

Title

Postcard of Clifton Suspension Bridge from the Clifton side

Date(s)

  • Postmarked [16 June 1952] (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 colour postcard

Context area

Name of creator

(1851 - 1994)

Administrative history

Valentines of Dundee was founded in 1851 by James Valentine (1815-1879). Initially concerned with engraving, printing and stationery, the firm soon adopted photography. In 1855 Valentine erected one of the largest photographic glasshouses in Britain. About 1860 he started selling topographical photographs, converting a barouche into a mobile darkroom. His son, William Dobson Valentine (1844-1907), entered the family business in about 1860 after training as landscape photographer in the studios of Francis Frith, the largest English publisher of commercial landscapes at that time.

From 1882 Valentines branched out to include English as well as Scottish views, producing different sizes of grouped prints and stereoscopic photographs. Upon James' death in 1879, his sons William and George Dobson Valentine (1852-1890) took over the company. Based in Dundee, William pioneered large scale photographic processing and photo-mechanical printing and undertook the first unsuccessful attempts at submarine photography in connection with the investigation of the Tay rail bridge disaster early in 1880. In 1898 they started producing picture postcards. In 1900 under Managing Director Harben James Valentine (1872-1949) they became a private limited company, employing their own staff photographers and artists and also buying images from local and national photographers and agencies. By the 1950s, the production of postcards began to wane as greetings cards became more profitable. Failing to take advantage of colour photography, in 1967 they stopped publishing monochrome postcards and by 1970 they ceased publishing postcards altogether.

The major archive of monochrome topographical views by James Valentine & Sons is held by the University of St Andrews Library. For further details of this collection please contact the Library, or refer to http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Addressed to Mr and Mrs C. W. Berry with a written message.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places