Item 118 - Lithograph showing Mr William Armstrong's Design for a Chain Bridge Across the River Avon, from St Vincent's Rock to Leigh Down

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

GB 3493 118

Title

Lithograph showing Mr William Armstrong's Design for a Chain Bridge Across the River Avon, from St Vincent's Rock to Leigh Down

Date(s)

  • May 1830 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 coloured lithograph, framed size 480 mm x 430 mm

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(c.1793 - 1860)

Biographical history

In 1828 William West leased and restored a ruined windmill to create the observatory in Clifton. He was an accomplished artist who also took an active interest in engineering and science. He travelled to Fribourg, Switzerland to research the use of wire in suspension bridges and on his return in 1835, he submitted a report to the Directors of the Clifton Suspension Bridge Company. Some of the bridge trustees - like T. L. Coulson - owned his paintings (Ref. "Conversazione of the Graphic Society", Supplement to the Bristol Mercury, 22 December 1860, p.2).
West also introduced early forms of photography to Bristol; in April 1839 he was advertising photosensitive paper for sale and displaying his photographs to the public, in November of the same year he was demonstrating the photographic process to school children and in 1842 he wrote to Fox Talbot asking permission to use his calotype process. (Ref. "Advertisements & Notices", Bristol Mercury, 27 April 1839; "Latest Intelligence", Bristol Mercury 9 November 1839)

Name of creator

(fl. 1780 - 1858)

Biographical history

William Armstrong was born in Perenwood, Northumberland in c.1780. In 1824 he became resident engineer to the Thames Tunnel, recommended by Bryan Donkin and John Rennie. He resigned through ill-health in 1826 and was described as being ‘of Bristol’ in the Worcester Journal. Colvin lists him as an architect and civil engineer in Bristol and he became a building surveyor there from 1836 until his death in 1858.

Archival history

Kindly donated to the Trust by the family of Dr A J G Dickens.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places

Physical storage

  • Shelf: C:18