Item 84 - Stereoview of Clifton Hotel

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

GB 3493 AA/1/S/84

Title

Stereoview of Clifton Hotel

Date(s)

  • c. 1866 - 1875 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 stereoscopic photograph mounted on blue card

Context area

Name of creator

(1820 - 1883)

Biographical history

Born in Scotland, John Beattie was a travelling photographer and lecturer in phrenology and electricity who settled in Bristol in the 1850s. Throughout the 1860s until 1868 he ran a photographic business with Cyrus Voss Bark (d.1913). In the 1861 census he was recorded as an "artisitic photographer" working at 25 The Triangle, Bristol. John Beattie paid a license to the Clifton Suspension Bridge Company to sell photographs and stationary from a wooden souvenirs kiosk located by the Clifton tower on the bridge from 1866 to 1875.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The Clifton Down Hotel was also previously known as the Royal York and The Bath Hotel. On 21 June 1831, there was a foundation laying ceremony led by Lady Elton which was preceded by a breakfast held by the Bridge Committee at the hotel which was known as the Bath Hotel at the time. The laying of the Leigh Woods abutment foundation stone in 1836 also involved a dinner at the hotel which had ordered special commemorative china. The hotel was re-built from 1862 to 1864, opening as the Clifton Down Hotel in 1865 - five months after the completion of Clifton Suspension Bridge. The building was taken over by the Government in 1939 and in the twentieth century it was named as Bridge House.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

This item has been conserved and digitised with thanks to The Murless Fund (SANHS).

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places