GB 3493 AA
- c. 1760s - 2016 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Approximately 4 linear metres of papers, postcards and photographs and 35,000 digital images and files.
Name of creator
Collection gifted to the Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust in 2018. See Acquisition Record 116.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
• 20 CDs containing digitally-born and digital surrogate files of Adrian Andrews’ images and research, including drafts and proofs for the guidebook, Clifton Suspension Bridge, by Adrian Andrews and Michael Pascoe, (Broadcast Books, 2008) (c. 2000 – 2016)
• Two A3 portfolio folders containing original prints of various bridges (c.1770s – 1880s), copies and extracts from nineteenth-century publications (including The London Illustrated News, The Scotsman), photographic prints and negatives of Clifton Suspension Bridge and other bridges, photocopies of letters and papers from archives and photographic prints of exhibitions boards (2006).
• 7 lever arch folders and one folder containing prints, drafts for Andrews' publications and research notes concerning the Clifton Suspension Bridge, the history of bridge engineering in general and Kings Weston House, Bristol.
• One stereoscope and 209 stereoscopic photographs of bridges, including 84 images of Clifton Suspension Bridge (c.1850s – 1910).
• Three commemorative medallions: iron bridge at Coalbrook (opened 1779), London Bridge (opened 1831) and the Thames Tunnel (opened 1845).
• One hard drive containing approximately 32,500 images relating to Adrian Andrew’s historic research and design work.
• Collection of books and 7 framed prints relating to Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the history of bridge construction and engineering.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Some items are subject to copyright.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion