Stuk 118 - Lithograph showing Mr William Armstrong's Design for a Chain Bridge Across the River Avon, from St Vincent's Rock to Leigh Down

Original Digitaal object not accessible

Identificatie

referentie code

GB 3493 118

Titel

Lithograph showing Mr William Armstrong's Design for a Chain Bridge Across the River Avon, from St Vincent's Rock to Leigh Down

Datum(s)

  • May 1830 (Vervaardig)

Beschrijvingsniveau

Stuk

Omvang en medium

1 coloured lithograph, framed size 480 mm x 430 mm

Context

Naam van de archiefvormer

Naam van de archiefvormer

(c.1793 - 1860)

Biografie

In 1828 William West leased and restored a ruined windmill to create the observatory in Clifton. He was an accomplished artist who also took an active interest in engineering and science. He travelled to Fribourg, Switzerland to research the use of wire in suspension bridges and on his return in 1835, he submitted a report to the Directors of the Clifton Suspension Bridge Company. Some of the bridge trustees - like T. L. Coulson - owned his paintings (Ref. "Conversazione of the Graphic Society", Supplement to the Bristol Mercury, 22 December 1860, p.2).
West also introduced early forms of photography to Bristol; in April 1839 he was advertising photosensitive paper for sale and displaying his photographs to the public, in November of the same year he was demonstrating the photographic process to school children and in 1842 he wrote to Fox Talbot asking permission to use his calotype process. (Ref. "Advertisements & Notices", Bristol Mercury, 27 April 1839; "Latest Intelligence", Bristol Mercury 9 November 1839)

Naam van de archiefvormer

(fl. 1780 - 1858)

Biografie

William Armstrong was born in Perenwood, Northumberland in c.1780. In 1824 he became resident engineer to the Thames Tunnel, recommended by Bryan Donkin and John Rennie. He resigned through ill-health in 1826 and was described as being ‘of Bristol’ in the Worcester Journal. Colvin lists him as an architect and civil engineer in Bristol and he became a building surveyor there from 1836 until his death in 1858.

Geschiedenis van het archief

Kindly donated to the Trust by the family of Dr A J G Dickens.

Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging

Inhoud en structuur

Bereik en inhoud

Waardering, vernietiging en slectie

Aanvullingen

Ordeningstelsel

Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging

Voorwaarden voor reproductie

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Taal en schrift aantekeningen

Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen

Toegangen

Verwante materialen

Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen

Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Aantekeningen

Alternative identifier(s)

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Identificatie van de beschrijving

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Toegepaste regels en/of conventies

Status

Niveau van detaillering

Verwijdering van datering archiefvorming

Taal (talen)

Schrift(en)

Bronnen

Digitaal object (Master) rights area

Digitaal object (Referentie) rights area

Digitaal object (Thumbnail) rights area

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places

Fysieke opslag

  • Plank: BRO 3:C:18